Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Draw Baby Animals



I have written several "how-to" books for North Light and this one is my favorite. It is also my most recent, so I guess it takes me a while to get the hang of things! I have noticed that several of my favorite blogs post tutorials sometimes, so I thought I would post one of the step-by-step articles from this book.



There are several ways of creating your intitial drawing. This example shows the basic shapes method, which in this case is based on ovals. You could also use the grid method, where you copy your reference onto a gridded paper, working one small square at a time. Sometimes people find it easier to break their drawing down into smaller parts, so they don't get overwhelmed by the whole thing.


I like to use charcoal pencil if I am trying to get very soft, dark fur. I used a regular tortillon for blending this drawing, but I must tell you about one of my favorite blending tools. They are called Fantastix. They are a sort of plastic pencil with a soft foam tip. You can get a bullet tip or a brush tip, and I like the bullet tip best. I keep a separate one for each color of pastel I use, so the colors don't turn to mud. They are a little hard to find, but I saw some in the stamping section of Michael's the other day.

No comments:

Post a Comment