Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sweet Inspirations

Today's post is about artistic inspiration, so I thought it would be appropriate to feature an image from my Sweet Inspirations line, which is available as wall art from Old World Prints, and as coasters from Highland Graphics. This is part of an inspiration blog-hop, so tomorrow I will try to post links to all the other blogs participating. I have never done a blog hop before, so I hope I do the links right!



I have posted before about how much I like the Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady books by Edith Holden. I like both the delicacy and flow of her watercolors, and also the concept of this gentle lady keeping such beautiful sketchbooks of her surroundings. Look at the way the flower tendrils twine around the page. Isn't that pretty?
So I very much wanted to do a sketchbook themed collection. I think my art is not quite as graceful as Edith's, but I like the delicacy and vintage look that I achieved. That is the point of being inspired by another artist; what qualities can I include to make my own work better? What can I learn from a piece I admire? How can I apply those techniques or color palettes to my own vision? As an artist, every day for me is a learning process. I love the visual stimulation of going to shows. There are always artists and work that I admire, and that gives me the impetus to keep growing and developing in my own work. Every day there is something new and exciting to try and discover!

8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Jane, it is just gorgeous!!! And by the way I love Country Diary, too. Eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post on being truly inspired to create an original Jane Maday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane this is a perfect example of creating something fresh and beautiful from your inspiration. I did not know about Edith's work and know that i do I am going to look her up. I have seen it but did not know about it. love it and your art!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, I also didn't know about the Country Diary and it is so lovely. Your work has such elegance. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jane! This is stunning art and you've just explained inspiration beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also have that book, Jane. I love it. Also...I've finished the James Herriot books and loved them!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane, I love what you have achieved by Edith Holden's work. And adore your "Sing like nobody's listening" message on your artwork. ~Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jane - really beautiful design. I especially love the subtle textures and patterns in the background and of course, I love butterflies.

    ReplyDelete