Monday, September 6, 2010

Hooray for Books!

Yesterday we went to the Rist Canyon Richard Schmid Art Festival. We had a lovely time, and of course the art was all gorgeous. The show and auction is a benefit for the canyon fire department, and Richard has generously donated work every year. Local artists submit work to be juried into the show. I have never tried, but always intended to "someday". Well, Richard announced that this year would be his last, as he is getting older and his eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. It is really a great pity, as he is so talented, and I really looked forward to it every year. Hopefully the show will continue.



Another thing they have at the festival is a big book tent. This was my favorite find of the day: a vintage Winnie-the -Pooh cookbook (for only fifty cents)! I love the original Winnie-the-Pooh books, and have the original editions that we had in my family for years.



I think it is ok to show this inside spread for the purpose of this review. The recipes involved mostly involve honey, of course, which is great for us as we will be extracting the honey from our hives in a couple of weeks' time. I thought this Apricot Honey Bread sounded yummy! Some of the recipes are much too dated, of course, like the honey egg nog recipe that requires raw eggs in the drink. I know in the old days people thought that raw egg was good for you, but these days we are much more careful. One of my favorites was the "Recipe For Getting Thin" which was a blank page! I don't think that is a diet that I'd be able to stick to.

1 comment:

  1. I adored Winnie when I was a child and adore him still. Remember the snow poem? "The more it snows, tiddley pom, the more it goes, tiddley pom..."? What a fun reminder of fond memories. We are lucky here that we can still use a bit of raw egg now and then because we have eggs from our dear hen ladies who forage around our own little organic garden. Thank you for the smile this morning!

    ReplyDelete