Sunday, June 13, 2010

Hooray For Art Supplies!



Don't you just love art supplies? Today I have had one of those days where the art just doesn't want to turn out the way I want it to, but at least I have the fun of playing with my "stuff". Oh, fresh, clean, white paper, juicy paints, and nice pointy brushes! So I decided I would periodically tell you about the favorite products I have found over many years, (and many dollars) spent!

My favorite brushes are made by the Silver Brush company. They can be a little hard to find, but I usually order mine from MisterArt.com, or directly from the manufacturor. I should mention that I have done demonstrations in the Silver Brush booth at trade shows, but I am not being paid for this endorsement. These really are the best brushes if you want to paint tiny details, like I do. The ones above are the Silver Ultra Mini Golden Natural Designer Rounds. Those very fine lines were painted with the #12 round, so you can see what a tiny point it has. But since it has a big body, you can really load the brush with paint so you don't have to keep dipping it.



This brush is very useful for painting fur. It is a Ruby Satin Filbert Grass Comb. You can see how the bristles are uneven lengths and slightly separated. This means you can paint many hairs with one stroke. I mostly use watercolor, but these brushes are good for acrylic too.

Do you have any favorite brushes for painting details? I would like to try the Winsor and Newton designer rounds one of these days, to see how they compare. Designer rounds have longer bristles than regular round brushes. and I feel like they give my strokes a better flow.

2 comments:

  1. Jane, I don't paint so I can't offer any insight into the brushes, but you must know your stuff. I went back a way into your blog and your work is fabulous. Looks like it definitely keeps you busy.

    Thanks for stopping out my way,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Jane, these brushes make me want to step away from my computer creating and get into my studio . . .the feel of a favorite brush stroking a clean white paper or canvas is delicious.

    Please know your son's journey into this next chapter in his life is in my prayers. May many doors be opened and opportunities be presented and he be directed to where his gifts and talents are needed.

    ReplyDelete